“Intellectualist” on the loose

Dump Terry Bernardo

Shawangunk JournalServing Others Is Where The Spotlight Should Be (01/31/13)
Times Herald-RecordService makes a difference (02/02/13)
Daily FreemanServing the people (02/05/13)

Under slightly different headlines, Manuela Michailescu’s Letter to the Editor was published in the local newspapers:

Dear Editor:

The beginning of each political year brings us inaugurations, speeches, organizational meetings and appeals to potential volunteers. The spotlight is – or it should be – on serving the people.

I remember Assemblyman Steve Katz, R-Yorktown, saying that being an elected official “should work more like jury duty, where people do their civic duty, serve a term and then go back to real life.” This would solve the term limits issue and bring new blood in many political areas. People who served could then apply their acquired political experience in real life, while real life would inform the politicians’ actions. A continuous exchange between the realm of politics and real life would not hurt, and the widespread disconnect between the two would hopefully fade out.

Serving others – not only themselves, family and friends – more people would discover the true satisfaction of helping those not able to do anything in return beyond a smile and a “thank you.”

During almost six years of being either a candidate or an elected official, I was very often asked, “What are you going to do for me?” To answer was easy: “I am going to honestly serve you, not my personal interests. I am going to listen and pay attention to what you really need.”

I am more effective in making people aware of Rochester’s Recreation / Youth Department events as member of the Youth Commission than when I served as Town Board liaison to the same commission. The opportunities to serve are limitless and not at all related to a certain position. It’s not the title that matters, it’s the person and the intention that make the difference.

The Youth Commission needs volunteers. Reading the quarterly newsletters, you’re going to find out about opportunities to help, from being a volunteer member to sponsoring a program or an event, participating with ideas, donations, and more. Please call 845-626-2115 for more information.

I can’t wait for our town’s summer program to start, to join the kids on their field trips and create a photographic chronicle of their activities. Serving – even in small ways – brings rich meaning to our lives, to those we help and are positively affected. It’s challenging, inspiring and rewarding.

To quote Albert Schweitzer: “The ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.”

Manuela Michailescu
    Kerhonkson
    manuela@oldbrickhouse.com

Now, I suppose there are many possible reactions to the above letter, but only Steven Fornal could post this comment on Freeman:

Intellectualist
    Imposing fascist conservative bigotry serves no one but yourself. Where do you claim your residence now? Vermont to scam on car insurance? You’re a phony selfserving scammer.

Obviously, the demented one is stuck on something.

– Jon Dogar-Marinesco

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “Intellectualist” on the loose

1. Anonymous says:

How does Town of Rochester attract all the sickos?
    Bernardos are bad enough, but this guy takes the cake.

2. dukas says:

A twit for all seasons.

3. Anonymous says:

Who is this clown?

4. Anonymous says:

Did you honestly expect more than that from an individual whose “litter-a-ture” appears with a photo of a woman with snack clips on her nipples? This man lacks respect for women and especially dislikes intelligent women.

Instead of viewing his comment as being hateful you should realize what it actually is coming from him – it was a compliment.

5. Anonymous says:

I read this letter on the Gunk site before reading this blog. When initially reading this letter I realized how fortunate my neighbors and myself are for the volunteers in our community. I also realized what a rewarding experience that volunteering can be; it inspired me to ask myself what I can do to give back to my own community. It is disheartening to see how someone could even attempt to put a negative spin on such a positive, selfless act of volunteering and giving to one’s community while asking for nothing in return. I found myself on an emotional roller coaster while reading this blog. I re-read this inspirational and uplifting letter which warmed my heart again by seeing the good hearted people of the world are living and volunteering in a local town. Then I read the comment that was written in response and I was saddened to also realize that the angry, unappreciative and bitter people of the world are also residing there. I am grateful for the few hours I had of inspiration before being jolted back to reality.

To all of the volunteers: Thank you for all that you selflessly give to our communities, thank you for being positive role models to our youth (our future) and thank you for the inspiration.

To the unappreciative, angry and entitlement minded people who are unable to recognize the kindness in one’s actions and words: Kindly focus your negativity on people like yourself.

6. bubbaband says:

4:39
    If you feel this strongly why are you Anonymous???
    Hmmmmmmm??

7. Anonymous says:

Dear non-anonymous anonymous bubbaband,

Hmmmmmm… I am posted anonymous for a few reasons:
    1) I have a real non-social network life and a real job; therefore, I have no Facebook, My Space, Twitter or any other account to log in under.
    2) I rarely post or comment on blogs (I only comment on things that I feel strongly about); therefore, I have no login or account set up with any of these websites.
    3) I see how viciously attacked this woman was for sending a letter to the local newspapers regarding her experience volunteering in her community. I shouldn’t be anonymous so that the internet thugs can viciously attack me and/or my family for agreeing with this letter writer?

You can save the additional callouses on your fingers and the increased risk of carpal tunnel syndrome by responding again as I have a real job that I must drive to daily that does not afford me the luxury to sit in front of a computer face booking, tweeting and/or commenting on blogs all day. My real non-social network life is quite hectic, hence the reason I am unable to find the time to volunteer in my community so I am certainly not wasting any more of my precious time responding to a non-annoynomous annoynomous individual on a blog.

Sincerely,
    4:39

PS: Again, I want to thank all of you who volunteer. There are people who truly do appreciate you.

What do you have to say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s