Len Bernardo, the Ulster County Independence Party Boss.
Thousands of voters have been duped into enrolling in Independence Party
Read The Daily News article published Monday, December 10, 2012.
- The Independence Party counts on its rolls an astronomical number of people who had no intention of joining and who have no idea they’re listed as members.
- In fact, the Independence Party is a shell whose leaders have wielded undeserved influence over the ballot in New York City and State.
- There is evidence that the Independence Party has gone beyond reaping the benefits of inflated membership into orchestrated deception to keep power.
- By the thousands, the evidence shows, voters have mistakenly enrolled in the IndependENCE Party when they had intended to register as independENTS with no party affiliation at all.
- The Daily News interviewed 200 New York City residents who are carried on Board of Election records as having joined the Independence Party in 2010 and 2011.
85% disavowed any knowledge of the Independence Party.
- The Daily News also interviewed 100 registered Independence Party voters who are listed by the Board of Elections as holding positions on Independence Party county committees. 64 of the supposed committee members said they were surprised to learn that records showed them as serving on the panels, and 23 reported no knowledge of belonging to the Independence Party at all.
- The Independence Party violates two principles of New York election law. The first is an insistence on absolute clarity at the polls. The second is a demand that political organizations demonstrate broad membership support to earn the privileges that come with official recognition — most importantly, the power to place candidates on the ballot.
- The Independence Party is capitalizing on widespread voter confusion
to exert illegitimate influence over elections.
They must be stopped.
Read The Daily News article